Acceptable Use Policy 3-5
BRIARCLIFF MANOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
STUDENT NETWORK AND INTERNET USERS
TODD SCHOOL GRADES 3 - 5
SCHOOL YEAR 2017-2018
- I will promise to use the Internet and computers for educational purposes only.
- I will show the same respect for others on the school computer networks just as I do in the classroom or school hallway.
- I promise that I will follow these rules in the same way that I follow the other school and district rules that are in the code of conduct.
- I will only use the computers and Internet after obtaining my teacher's permission.
- I will only use bookmarked sites unless my teacher or another authorized adult supervises my use of a search engine for approved research.
- I will not use e-mail, enter any chat rooms or use instant messaging without permission from my teacher.
- If it is appropriate to participate in an online session, I will always treat people online with respect and treat them as I would like to be treated.
- I will not use someone else's work as my own (plagiarize) that I find through the Internet.
- I understand that an author or someone who has created an original work (an original idea) has the right to control the copying of his/her work (a copyright of his/her original idea) once it is "fixed in any medium". Fixing in a medium means reducing ideas to formats such as writing, painting, video, music (including music that's been written or recorded), and dance choreographer's notes. This means that I will not copy things from other people's work into my work without revealing its source. When I use other people's work or idea for schoolwork, I will give credit to its author or creator by stating the name and where I got the work as required by the school's policy on quotations and citations. I will check with my teacher before I use someone else's work for public display such as on the Internet.
- I will respect all school hardware and never load software or do anything to damage any equipment.
- I will tell my teacher right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will not access anyone else's files, folders, or work without permission. I will not share my computer password nor ask to use one belonging to another student or teacher. If I think my account is used by anyone else, I will tell my teacher.
- I understand network files are not private. Network administrators may view the contents at any time in order to maintain system integrity.
- I will never send any personal information about me or anyone else without first checking with my teacher. Personal information includes pictures, names, addresses, e-mail addresses, home phone numbers or location of my school.
I understand that all school rules apply while I am using the Internet and computers. If I do not follow these rules, I may lose my computer and Internet privileges, be subject to disciplinary action, and may need to attend a meeting with my parents, teacher, and principal.