Tier Two District

Briarcliff Manor Union Free School District

Students with Education-Impacting Disabilities - Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Education-Impacting Disability?

For academic eligibility purposes, the NCAA defines a disability as a current impairment that has a substantial educational impact on a student's academic performance and requires accommodation.

Some of the most common education-impacting disabilities (EIDs) include:

  • Learning Disabilities/Disorder (LD);
  • Atention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD);
  • Mental Health Disorders;
  • Medical Conditions;
  • Deaf/Hard of Hearing;
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
Where should I send my EID documentation?
EID documentation should be sent with the EID Cover Sheet and Buckley Statement (links below) by mail, fax or email.
NCAA EID Services
P.O. Box 7110
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7110
EID Cover Sheet
Buckley Statement
Fax: 317/968-5100

Email: ec-processing@ncaa.org

Do the standards for initial eligibility change for students with EIDs?
No. All students must satisfy the same standards in order to compete in NCAA Divisions I and II athletics.
Will colleges or universities have access to my child's records?
No. Information submitted to NCAA Education-Impacting Disability Services is not released to NCAA colleges or universities unless the student makes a specific written request to do so.
What are the accommodations provided to students with EIDs?
For Division I only, a student with an EID must graduate "on time" [a student must graduate from high school with his or her class within four consecutive academic years (eight semesters) from the start of grade nine] in order to access the following accommodation:
  • Use up to three (3) additional approved core courses taken after high school graduation and before initial full-time collegiate enrollment.
For Division II only, a student with an EID may access the following accommodation: u Use any approved core courses taken before full-time collegiate enrollment.
For Divisions I and II, a student with an EID may access the following accommodations:  Use approved courses for students with EIDs that are designated on the high school's List of NCAA Courses. May take a nonstandard ACT or SAT examination to satisfy test-score requirements.
Why would a student choose to file his or her EID documentation with the NCAA?
In order to access the accommodations listed above, the prospective student-athlete must submit his or her EID documentation for review.
When should a student submit his or her EID documentation with the NCAA?
Disability documentation needs to be submitted to the NCAA only if a student with an EID would like to use additional core courses taken after on-time high school graduation to satisfy Division I initial-eligibility requirements. The student should submit his or her disability documentation to NCAA EID services and include the following information:
1. Current, signed documentation of the diagnosis (including test data) and/or recommendations from the treating professional (e.g., medical doctor, clinical psychologist or other qualified individual);
2. Current copy of the student's Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Section 504 Plan. If the high school did not provide an IEP or 504 Plan, the high school must submit documentation describing the accommodations that were available to the student or an explanation as to why accommodations were not provided;
3. The student's NCAA Identification Number (NCAA ID), high school graduation year, permanent address and phone number should be included with the aforementioned documentation; and
4. An individual (e.g., parent or guardian) who wishes to discuss astudent-athlete's EID services request must be listed on the Buckley Statement, a form which is signed by the student. This form should be included with the submission of the aforementioned documentation (can be downloaded from the link at the top of the page).
Is a course designated for students with EIDs ever acceptable for NCAA initial eligibility purposes?
In order for courses designated for students with EIDs to be approved, the course must be substantially comparable, qualitatively and quantitatively, as a regular core course offered in that academic area.
Can a student with a diagnosed disability use courses that are designated for students with EIDs to meet NCAA core-course requirements?
Students who have submitted their disability documentation for review and who have been identified as having an EID may use courses for students with EIDs for the purpose of meeting NCAA core-course requirements. Courses for students with EIDs must appear on the high school's approved List of NCAA Courses in order for the course to be included in the student s final academic certification.
What if a student with an EID receives a final initial-eligibility decision that indicates the student is NOT CERTIFIED after he or she has received all of the EID accommodations?
The student-athlete should contact the compliance staff at the NCAA school to discuss his/her options and next steps.
Are accommodations available for students with EIDs once they enroll in a college or university?
Many colleges or universities provide accommodations to students with education-impacting disabilities. However, it is the student's responsibility to approach the college and disclose his or her disability documentation to the college or university's Office of Disability Services.
What is the purpose of the Buckley Statement?
This form allows the student to identify and grant access for individuals to review the collegebound student-athlete's EID information and/or speak on his or her behalf with the NCAA staff. (This form can be downloaded by clicking the link at the top of this page.)
Are there additional resources available to assist with the transition process from high school to college?
The U.S. Department of Education website (www.ed.gov/) has some excellent resources available. *It is important to note that NCAA academic requirements are the same for all students, including students with an EID. Additionally, the information outlined above is for students who intend to enroll in an NCAA Division I or II college or university. Because NCAA regulations are subject to change, the NCAA encourages you to consider how delaying your enrollment may impact your eligibility.